The Land on which Seaton Park is situated used to be farmland. The farm was part of the Glebe Farm Estate. The fields where the park is situated were owned by Charlie Lamb. Crops grown in the field were mainly wheat, oats, potatoes, barley and turnips.
The park stands on the site of green spaces formerly known as Dodds Field and Eggy's Field (Egglestones Field). First mention of using these sites to create a park area were in September 1937, but nothing was decided until well after world war 2.
In 1959 plans were finally submitted for a park comprising of 5 tennis courts, 1 bowling green and a playing ground. The land was purchased for the sum of £300 in July 1961. On 18th September of the same year, the newly founded Seaton Carew Bowling Club Requested facilities to allow them to join the Hartlepool Bowling Association and English Bowling League.
At a cost of around £30,000, the park was officially opened on 28th April 1962 by Alderman K. Gallimore, chairman of West Hartlepool Town Council's Parks and Recreational Committee. He had this to say "The park will be of particular benefit to the old people. Now that people are living longer and have more leisure time it is the policy of the council to supply more facilities for those that want them."
In June 1963 there was a proposal put forward for an extension to the park to include a playground for smaller children.
Photographs taken by Rev. James Whitehead Pattison (1853-1936)
Trees were planted in 1977 to commemorate a visit by Queen Elizabeth II, unfortunately these trees died, and 1980 there were 14 more trees planted to the south of the tennis courts in a rededication ceremony. The trees carry plaques with the names of those who originally dedicated them in 1977 and can still be seen in the park to this day.